Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
Beer - it's not just for drinking any more!
Make and share this Guinness Barbecue Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 4 ounces sweet onions, finely minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 8 ounces Guinness stout (or other stout)
- 6 ounces no-salt-added ketchup
- 2 tablespoons treacle (ok to substitute molasses)
- 2 tablespoons prepared pub mustard (, or other mustard)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce (I use Pickapeppa, but Tabasco or similar is OK)
Pub Mustard Ingredients
- 2 cups dry mustard
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 12 ounces beer or 12 ounces ale, flat
- To Prepare Pub Mustard:Combine mustard, brown sugar, salt and turmeric in blender or food processor and mix well.
- With the machine running, add beer in a slow, steady stream and blend until mixture is smooth and creamy, stopping frequently to scrape down the sides of the work bowl.
- Transfer to jars with tight-fitting lids.
- Store in cool, dark place.
- Combine barbecue sauce ingredients, cover and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly, taste and adjust spices to taste.
- Store refrigerated in tightly covered container.