1 hr 30 mins
If you're not watching your sodium intake, use regular instead of low-sodium ingredients. This recipe is based on chili served at Gallagher'ss Steak House, 228 West 52nd Street, New York City, with just a couple of very minor alterations.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 5 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 lb filet mignon, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 2 cups onions, cut into ¼ inch dice
- 1 chili pepper, seeds and veins removed,cut into 1/8 inch dice
- 4 fluid ounces Guinness stout
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup no-added-salt tomato paste
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 1 cup cooked kidney bean
- 1/2 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1Heat up ½ cup of the butter in a large sauce pot over medium high heat until very hot.
- 2Add diced filet and cook until seared and browned around the edges.
- 3Add ground beef and cook until all of the beef is browned thoroughly.
- 4Remove the meat and set aside, draining off ¾ of the fat (leave the rest of the fat in the pot).
- 5Add the diced onions and chile pepper to the pot and cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- 6Add the meat back to the pot.
- 7Add the Guinness and let boil for 1 minute.
- 8Add the flour and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- 9Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste and the beef stock and stir thoroughly.
- 10Reduce the heat to a low simmer and add both of the beans, the chili powder, cumin, salt, white pepper and brown sugar.
- 11Let the chili simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered, stirring occasionally.
- 12Finish by stirring in ½ cup more of the butter and the shredded cheddar cheese.
- 13Garnish or serve with any of the following: sour cream, diced red onions and pepper, shredded cheddar cheese, diced tomatoes, fresh chopped cilantro.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guinness and Filet Mignon Chili
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.1
- Calories from Fat 359
- Total Fat 39.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 167.8 mg
- Sodium 806.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: