Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Beer - it's not just for drinking any more!
- 4 ounces unsalted butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 1 cup flour
- 32 fluid ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 32 fluid ounces hot water
- 16 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 1 (16 ounce) jar Cheez Whiz (or similar brand)
- 1 bottle Guinness stout (or other stout)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- fresh chives, snipped,to garnish
- Melt the butter, add the flour, and stir constantly until slightly browned.
- Stir in chicken broth and hot water.
- Stirring constantly, add the cream, Cheez Whiz, Worcestershire sauce, beer, and garlic.
- Simmer 15 minutes.
- Garnish with chives.
This soup was especially good for the time I put into it. I only had a large can of Guiness and I think that made the soup a little bitter so I added some Velvetta that I had. It seemed to do the trick plus I added bacon bits when I served it. I will definatly do this one again.
This soup didn't work out for either my husband or myself. We couldn't even eat it. It was extremely bitter without any Guiness taste. I even added extra cheese as someone message in a previous post it still was bitter. My sympathetic husband who will eat anything I cook, couldn't do this one. Sorry not for us.
Made this last night and it was a huge hit! I did sub out cheddar and dubliner cheeses for the cheese whiz. My only thought is that there needs to be better documentation on how dark the roux needs to be. I didn't get mine quite dark enough, and it left things a little raw flour tasting for a while.