Just a typical spanish side dish, would go well with for example Bistec Encebollado (Steak With Onions) and white rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs green cooking bananas, about 10 green bananas
- 1 -1 1/2 lb onion, sliced into thin rings
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 -4 cloves crushed garlic
- 10 -12 green olives (the ones with the pimentos)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 -12 whole black peppercorns
- 3 -4 bay leaves
- 3 cups olive oil or 3 cups light olive oil
- 2 quarts water
- 1Cut the banana with a knife by cutting off the ends of the bananas and making a cut alond the outside curves of the banana skins, but DO NOT remove the skins (don't cut your fingers).
- 2Place the bananas in boiling water and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of salt and 2 teaspoons of oil to make them peel easier. Boil the bananas for approximately 20 minutes on medium-low heat. If you boil them too long they will come apart.
- 3While the bananas cook, make the Escabeche sauce by placing all the rest of the ingredients into a pot. Stir them well and place on medium heat until the mixture gets hot. Then reduce the heat to low and cook for approximately 1 hour. Remove from heat and set aside to cool to room temperature. I can almost smell the sauce. Yum!
- 4The banana is done when you lightly stab it with a toothpick and it is tender but firm. Peel off the skins and cut the bananas in 1 inch size rounds and put them in a glass or plastic bowl. Add the sauce to the bananas. Stir and mix well. Cover them and marinade them for at least 24 hours at room temperature. Tips You can refrigerate the bananas, but make sure they have cooled down to room temperature before you do.
Browse Our Top < 60 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 60 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guineitos En Escabeche
Serving Size: 1 (544 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1179.3
- Calories from Fat 984
- Total Fat 109.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 287.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 22.2 g
- Protein 4.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns