Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I've tried a number of potato kugel recipes and this is my most favorite. But it's not for the faint of heart (e.g. those who are dieting). It's adapted from a recipe in The Kosher Palette.
- 6 idaho potatoes, peeled
- 1 large onion
- 1 stale challah roll (or bread roll)
- 4 large eggs
- 7 ounces rendered chicken fat (or 2/3 cup oil)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Process potatoes, onion, bread roll, and eggs in a food processor until smooth. (Processing a portion of the onion with each batch that you put through the food processor will assist in keeping the potatoes from discoloring while you work.).
- Combine the melted chicken fat (or oil, but chicken fat is tastier), salt, baking powder, and pepper with the potato mixture in a large bowl.
- Pour into a greased 8 x 8 baking dish.
- Bake for 1 hour or until golden brown on top and middle no longer jiggles. Best if served immediately.