Recipe by Fat Free Queen
My Italian Grandfather used to make stuffed Bell Peppers. Its hard for me to say but this recipe is better and healthier!!!!!
Top Review by Ian Magary
These were fantastic! I was cautious with the spices after reading Edana's review, but ended up full bore plus some by the time it was done. For the meat I used Organic free-range ground turkey and the paprika was some tasty sweet / smoked flavor I recently bought. All I can say is wow! We'll definitely eat this again! I was initially a little afraid that you meant use 1/2 cup "cooked rice" instead of 1/2 cup rice listed. I went with the raw rice, as I saw more liquids would be added and the rice would have plenty of time to soften. I followed your directions exactly besides the meat change noted previously and ended up with quite the delicious dinner! Thanks!
- 4 bell peppers (your choice of color, green stands better)
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 1⁄2 lb hamburger
- 1 larger white onion
- 3⁄4 cup diced canned tomato
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons spn basil
- 2 tablespoons spn oregano
- 2 tablespoons spn chili powder
- 2 tablespoons spn paprika
- 2 tablespoons spn black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 tablespoons spn garlic powder
- 1⁄4 cup white cheese
- 1⁄4 cup orange cheese (I use fat free shredded white and yellow mix)
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre heat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a sauce pan fry onions and rice for about 5 minutes or until brown.
- Add water and cover for about ten minutes.
- In a large pan fry hamburger with one tbl spoon of all seasoning (garlic, chili powder, oregano, basil, paprika, pepper).
- When hamburger is almost ready add tomatoe and rice.
- Add the rest of the seasonings (exceot garlic powder).
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Gut the peppers out and dust indies with garlic powder.
- Layer rice mixture with cheese while stuffing bell peppers.
- Close with the top and place on a cooking sheet standing upwards.
- Bake for 45 Minutes (or longer depending how dark you want your pepper).
- Take out of the oven and let cool.