Prep 15 mins
Cook 7 hrs
From Easy Low Fat Cuisine, this sounds simple and tasty.
- 4 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 4 slices French bread, toasted
- 3⁄4 cup reduced-fat swiss cheese, shredded (3 ounces)
- Coat a large non-stick skillet with non-stick vegetable spray coating.
- Place over medium-high heat.
- Add onions to skillet; cook until onions are translucent and beginning to caramelize, about 10 minutes.
- Add to Crock Pot along with beef broth, flour, mushrooms, and white pepper.
- Cover; cook on low 7 to 9 hours.
- Preheat broiler.
- Set 4 flameproof bowls on baking sheet.
- Ladle soup evenly between bowls.
- Top each portion with 1 slice bread.
- Sprinkle cheese over each slice of bread.
- Broil until cheese is melted.
- Per Serving: Calories: 246 Protein 14.38 gm Fat 5.71 gm Carbohydrates 34.33 gm Percentage of fat: 20.87%.
This was good; I made it minus the mushrooms (forgot to buy). I topped with a slice of mozzarella cheese and left out the french bread. Will make again! Made for Cookbook Tag March 2010.
I can't say enough good things about this soup! What can be easier than 10 min prep (slice onions, saute)? I had to leave out the mushrooms because I completely forgot to purchase them during my last trip to the grocery store, but I will definitely add them next time. I also left out the french bread (not into soggy bread!) and used reduced fat mozzarella. I thought this might turn out bland and that DH would give it a thumbs down, but I was pleasantly surprised how much flavor this had and how little calories (they drop dramatically if you don't use the bread!). Super yummy...will make this very often!
Honestly, I've never had onion soup before...but this was good. I used a slice of swiss cheese instead of the shredded but otherwise made as directed. I liked the mushrooms in it...gave it a little bit more interest besides just the onion flavor. Thanks so much for posting! Made for Phase 2 of Theirs, Yours, & Mine Photo Tag. :)