Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
I could eat tons of this, and I do. You can also use canned asparagus, but this is amazing with the fresh (and yes, more expensive) stuff.
- 24 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and halved
- 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaf
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a large pan (preferably non-stick), combine the asparagus with 1/2 cup of water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer, until the asparagus is tender but crisp, about 5 minutes.
- Drain and run under cold water to cool and stop the cooking process.
- In a food processor, blitz the asparagus, salsa, cilantro and garlic.
- Add the scallions, and pulse several times until chunky/smooth (as you prefer).
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- Refrigerate, covered, until chilled, about 1 hour.
Two thumbs up MIrj! I used hot salsa, used garlic and added juice of half a lime. All I can say is: YUM YUM!! And look at the calorie count; is this heavenly or WHAT! Thank you so much for the recipe. I will be making lots of this as asparagus are in season.
Boy, when I read this recipe I thought, "No way can this taste like guacamole." But you can believe it! It's really, really similar. I'd blend the asparagus separately to get a smooth consistency, cause it needs it. Then, pulse briefly when including the salsa (or fresh tomato/onion/pepper)and cilantro. Also, add lime juice. .3 grams of fat, can't beat that!
OMGosh. I just want to run through the streets screaming. This is miraculous. I love guacamole but seldom indulge because it is so high in fat and I can't eat just a little bit. I have to eat it all. This alternative is really very good. I did like Izzy and added the juice of half a lime and used hot salsa. Bravo Mirj!!