Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I love Greek gyros sandwiches, but I don't like to eat lamb and it's not the healthiest food in the world. This recipe satisfies my craving. You can eat these on pita bread, but it's just as good on any other bread in place of deli meat. Serve it with tzatziki sauce, Greek yogurt, or sour cream.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 1⁄2 cup oatmeal
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Put all of the ingredients in a bowl, and spend a few minutes kneading the resulting mixture with your hands so everything is combined well.
- Pour the mixture onto a lightly oiled 9x13 pan. Smash it down with your hands a bit until it looks like a very large hamburger patty.
- Bake it for 35 minutes.
- Remove, then cut the meat into thin slices and serve. If you want a crispier, more authentic gyros texture, lay the sliced meat down on the pan and place in the broiler for 5 more minutes.
Excellent! The seasonings are spot-on. The addition of oatmeal (though I initially felt hesitant about adding it in) was genius. It created the perfect gyro meat texture. Who needs lamb?!
I did use a pinch of cinnamon, as I had no allspice on-hand.
I will be making this again & again. Thanks for sharing!
This past month I've pulled out the memory of having made this and dust it off every so often because it always makes me happy...AND hungry.
Loved by all. I made the tsatsiki sauce extra garlicky and extra cucumbery. The sauce made it awesome.