Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
The Feta and the Sundried Tomatoes make this a treat.
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 1⁄4 lbs extra-lean ground turkey
- 8 ounces lean Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup packed grated unpeeled zucchini
- 2 cups your favourite pasta sauce, tomato
- 1 (8 ounce) cantomatoes with mixed Italian herbs, undrained, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced fresh basil leaf
- 2 cups light ricotta cheese
- 2 ounces crumbled feta cheese with herbs
- 1 (8 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry and chopped
- 1 egg
- 12 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1 1⁄2 cups four cheese blend, shredded
- Pour 1/2 cup of boiling water over sun-dried tomatoes and let soak while you prepare the sauce.
- To make sauce, heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add onions and garlic. Cook and stir until onions have softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add ground turkey and sausage, breaking up any large pieces. Cook until meat is no longer pink. Add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes. Add from pasta sauce to ground black pepper inclusive. When sun-dried tomatoes are soft enough, drain and chop them (fine) and add to sauce. Bring sauce to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Stir in minced basil and remove from heat.
- Combine ricotta, feta and spinach in a bowl. Refridgerate until needed.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain well.
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. To assemble lasagna, lightly spray a deep 9 x 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon some meat sauce over bottom of dish.
- Arrange 4 noodles over sauce and layer as follows: 1/3 meat sauce, 1/2 4-cheese blend, 4 noodles, 1/3 meat sauce, all of the ricotta/spinach mixture, 4 noodles, 1/3 meat sauce, 1/2 4-cheese blend.
- Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 more minutes. Let lasagna stand for 10 minutes before serving.