Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A trimmed-down version of those deliciously fattening gratins. This is fat-free but definitely not flavor-free. Wish I could take credit but it's from November 1999 Vegetarian Times magazine.
- Position rack in upper third of oven. Preheat to 400°F Grease a shallow 2.5 - 3 quart casserole.
- Pat potatoes dry with paper towels. Arrange 1/2 the potato slices in a single layer over bottom of prepared casserole, overlapping slightly. Season with a little salt, pepper and basil. Sprinkle with 1/2 the chopped onion.
- Add all the carrot slices, overlapping slightly. Season with a little salt, pepper and basil; sprinkle with remaining onion.
- Top with remaining potato slices, overlapping slightly. Season with remaining salt, pepper and basil.
- Add enough broth to come three-quarters of the way up vegetables. Cover casserole with lid or foil and bake until potatoes are almost tender, 30 - 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake until potatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes more. (I personally prefer to let the potatoes get a little golden and crunchy around the edges.) Serve hot.
- To make a vegetarian meal, add some baked tofu and a salad. Or serve with your favorite meat. Excellent with beef.