1 hr 20 mins
A trimmed-down version of those deliciously fattening gratins. This is fat-free but definitely not flavor-free. Wish I could take credit but it's from November 1999 Vegetarian Times magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Position rack in upper third of oven. Preheat to 400°F Grease a shallow 2.5 - 3 quart casserole.
- 2Pat potatoes dry with paper towels. Arrange 1/2 the potato slices in a single layer over bottom of prepared casserole, overlapping slightly. Season with a little salt, pepper and basil. Sprinkle with 1/2 the chopped onion.
- 3Add all the carrot slices, overlapping slightly. Season with a little salt, pepper and basil; sprinkle with remaining onion.
- 4Top with remaining potato slices, overlapping slightly. Season with remaining salt, pepper and basil.
- 5Add enough broth to come three-quarters of the way up vegetables. Cover casserole with lid or foil and bake until potatoes are almost tender, 30 - 40 minutes.
- 6Uncover and bake until potatoes are very tender, about 25 minutes more. (I personally prefer to let the potatoes get a little golden and crunchy around the edges.) Serve hot.
- 7To make a vegetarian meal, add some baked tofu and a salad. Or serve with your favorite meat. Excellent with beef.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guilt Free Gratin
Serving Size: 1 (158 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 156.6
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 422.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: