Recipe by CountryLady
ANY low cal recipe with chocolate is a keeper - I got this one at a cooking demonstration class!
Top Review by Jenny Sanders
Yum! Crispy outsides and a gooey interior make these feather-light little nibbles a real treat. I think they will likely need the longer baking time - I got 52 meringues and baked them for 16 minutes. They were still a nice size, since they puffed slightly, but the odd one was not quite 'set' in the middle. I used a less sugar (1/2 cup) since I only had bittersweet chocolate, which, by the way, I grated by hand to save dirtying the food processor. I also sifted all the dry ingredients.
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sifted icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 egg whites
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine cocoa& chocolate in food processor& pulse until ground into a fine powder.
- Add icing sugar& corn starch; pulse again& set aside.
- Beat egg whites in a large bowl until frothy; gradually incorporate granulated sugar.
- Dissolve coffee in vanilla& add to egg white mixture; beat until mixture is stiff& glossy.
- Fold in chocolate/cocoa until evenly incorporated but not over mixed.
- Spoon into piping bag fitted with ½ inch star tip& pipe kisses about 1 inch in diameter onto 2 parchment lined baking sheets, about 1 ½ inches apart.
- Bake in preheated 325F oven for 14 to 18 minutes or until cookies are almost firm to the touch.
- Use the top& bottom thirds of the oven switching the sheets halfway through the cooking time.
- Let cool on racks for a couple of minutes; slide off the parchment onto a flat surface& allow to cool completely.