Recipe by Mirj
In a perfect world this would be fat-free, super low-calorie and carb-free. It's not, but we can still indulge and think we're eating healthy.
Top Review by Sydney Mike
Made two of these (for 2 of us) & although I followed the recipe when making a sundae for my other half, for myself I left out the instant coffee & we were both happy campers since I don't like the taste of coffee & he does! I did leave off the whipped topping, & the biscotti that I usually have around here is definitely NOT fat-free! We still loved your sundaes, though ~ Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons instant coffee or 2 -3 teaspoons espresso
- fat-free frozen yogurt or low fat frozen yogurt or ice cream
- fat-free whipped topping or low fat whipped topping or regular whipped topping (optional)
- fat-free cookies or fat free biscotti (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- If the cocoa has lumps, sift or press through a fine mesh sieve (to avoid a lumpy sauce).
- Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Boil gently for about 1 minute.
- Remove pan from heat and whisk in instant coffee or espresso until dissolved.
- Whisk in cocoa until thoroughly incorporated and smooth.
- Scoop ice cream or frozen yogurt into coffee cups or dessert dishes.
- Spoon on warm espresso sauce and top with a dollop of whipped topping if desired.
- Serve with a cookie.