Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This decadent Mac-N-Cheese dish is not only thick, creamy and velvety, but has just a dash of zing and also is 100% Guilt-Free! Don't take my word for it - try it and see for yourself and see. I'm sure you'll love it, just as much as my household did.
- 1 cup yukon gold potato (peeled and cubed)
- 1⁄4 cup baby carrots
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews
- 8 ounces quinoa macaroni
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable stock (or use cooking fluid, see step 2 for details)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut milk (canned, suggested BPA free lined organic)
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin
- 8 ounces chicken sausage (cooked and cubed)
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (use vegan Parmesan for a healthier alternative)
- 3 -5 dashes hot sauce (optional, recommend -- Crystals)
- 1 pinch fresh parsley (optional for garnish)
- 1 dash paprika (optional for garnish)
- To a large pot, add the potatoes, carrots, onions and cashews and just enough water to cover the vegetables (about 6 cups). Heat the pot on medium-high and bring to a low boil and cook until the potatoes and carrots are tender and mashable, about 10-15 minutes.
- Strain the mixture over a large bowl to catch the cooking fluid. Reserve this cooking fluid and use it in place of the vegetable stock, preferably and set aside to cool slightly.
- Cook the Quinoa Macaroni according to the package instructions and set aside.
- To a blender, add the vegetable stock (or cooking fluid), coconut milk, cashew-vegetable mixture from step 2, yeast, lemon juice, garlic, celery seed, onion powder, salt, pepper, turmeric, 1/4 teaspoon paprika, cayenne pepper and cumin. Pulse a few times, then blend on high for 30-60 seconds (depending on your blender), or until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Taste for salt and add more if needed.
- In a large bowl, fold the blended sauce into the cooked pasta and gently stir in the chicken sausage and parmesan.
- Spoon the mixture into single serving bowls.
- Optional: Add a few dashes of hot sauce and garnish with the parsley and dash of paprika.