Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Delicious cake to enjoy with coffee! This recipe was given to me by a Jewish friend of mine.
Make and share this Gugelhupf recipe from Food.com.
- Sift the flour and salt into warmed bowl.
- Mix yeast with teaspoon of sugar and milk.
- Make well in centre of flour and pour in the yeast mixture.
- Sprinkle with flour, cover and put in warm place to prove.
- Grease mould and generously sprinkle with blanched or flaked almonds and then with ground almonds Melt butter gently.
- When the yeast begins to bubble, mix well with the flour, adding the the remaining sugar and lightly beaten eggs Beat well with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually add the tepid melted butter.
- Beat until the mixture leaves the spoon and sides of the bowl clean.
- Stir in the raisins and grated lemon rind.
- Place the mixture in the prepared mould (the mixture should fill the mould 2/3 full) Put in warm place to rise.
- When the mixture has risen to within 1/2" of the top of the tin, put cake (in mould) on baking tray and place in hot oven at 425'F or Gas Mark 7 Turn the heat down to Mark 5 after 5 minutes.
- Bake for about 40 minutes (in all), or until the cake feels firm on top when pressed and is a good golden brown colour Turn out onto wire cooling tray and dust thickly with icing sugar while the cake is still warm.