Delicious cake to enjoy with coffee! This recipe was given to me by a Jewish friend of mine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Sift the flour and salt into warmed bowl.
- 2Mix yeast with teaspoon of sugar and milk.
- 3Make well in centre of flour and pour in the yeast mixture.
- 4Sprinkle with flour, cover and put in warm place to prove.
- 5Grease mould and generously sprinkle with blanched or flaked almonds and then with ground almonds Melt butter gently.
- 6When the yeast begins to bubble, mix well with the flour, adding the the remaining sugar and lightly beaten eggs Beat well with a wooden spoon.
- 7Gradually add the tepid melted butter.
- 8Beat until the mixture leaves the spoon and sides of the bowl clean.
- 9Stir in the raisins and grated lemon rind.
- 10Place the mixture in the prepared mould (the mixture should fill the mould 2/3 full) Put in warm place to rise.
- 11When the mixture has risen to within 1/2" of the top of the tin, put cake (in mould) on baking tray and place in hot oven at 425'F or Gas Mark 7 Turn the heat down to Mark 5 after 5 minutes.
- 12Bake for about 40 minutes (in all), or until the cake feels firm on top when pressed and is a good golden brown colour Turn out onto wire cooling tray and dust thickly with icing sugar while the cake is still warm.
You Might Also Like...View All Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gugelhupf
Serving Size: 1 (111 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 370.2
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 111.9 mg
- Sodium 410.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 16.6 g
- Protein 8.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, rind of