Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
When I was an exchange student in Germany, my German mother often had this one the table for breakfast.
- Sprinkle yeast into milk to dissolve.
- In a large bowl beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla, lemon rind, raisins, and almonds.
- Mix salt and flour.
- Add milk and flour mixtures, alternately, ending with the flour mixture.
- Grease a gugelhopf mold*, budt pan, or tube pan.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Bake in preheated 375 degree F.
- Oven for 40 minutes or until browned and done.
- Serve warm with butter.
- * The gugelhopf mold is know also as a turban-head pan.
- If this is not availiable, you can use the others with the same results.