Carrots and sweet potatoes in grilled cheese? Why not if it works. This is from a book titled "the sneaky chef" filled with ideas on adding veggies and fiber into the diets of kids (and other picky eaters). When I read this one, I couldn't believe it. When I tried it, I was amazed to learn that it worked. This uses Orange Puree, a puree of cooked carrots and sweet potatoes. If you are short on time, you can use a jar of baby food instead. The recipe calls for melting butter and olive oil together, but I find it easier to buy it preblended at the store. You can use any cheese you like, but only a yellow cheese will hide the color of the Orange Puree.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 slices American cheese (must be yellow)
- 4 slices bread (whole wheat prefered)
use 4 teaspoons orange puree (recipe 256341)
- 1Melt 1 tsp of butter in a small skillet over medium low heat. Add 1 tsp of the olive oil.
- 2Spread 1 tsp of the Orange Puree on the center of each slice of bread. Do not get close to the edge -- you don't want this oozing out where your kids can see the dreaded vegetable.
- 3Top each side of the bread with a slice of cheese, then make sandwiches (2 slices of bread, 2 slices of cheese, 2 tsp orange puree).
- 4Place one sandwich into the skillet. Don't press it down, you want the puree to absorb into the bread, not ooze out.
- 5For each bread side, add 1 more tsp of butter and 1 more tsp olive oil. Brown each side of both sandwiches until crispy.
- 6Let cool for a few moments before cutting.
- 7Since the orange puree adds a tiny bit of sweetness to the grilled cheese, I found it helpful to sprinkle the outside of the grilled cheese sandwiches with garlic salt. Use your judgement based on what your picky eater will tolerate.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guerilla Grilled Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 420.5
- Calories from Fat 257
- Total Fat 28.6 g
- Saturated Fat 12.9 g
- Cholesterol 47.3 mg
- Sodium 805.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 12.2 g