Recipe by KmartKlutz
This recipe was first published in Saveur in May/June 1999.
Top Review by Chef Kate
This deserves ten stars. A beautiful dough; came together and rose and rolled out like a dream. The filling is superb--even tho I played with it a bit--used fig jam (PaulaG's wonderful recipe) instead of dried figs, used pecans and cashews instead of walnuts and hazelnuts. I divided the dough in two and put half the dough and half the filling in the fridge--rolled out and filled the other half--shaped it like a horseshoe, snipped it around the top and baked--the result was so beautiful and the smell in my apartment --to die for. Five people ate it last night--and five people raved about how good this was. I have four requests to bake the other half today.
FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup milk, warmed
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
FOR THE FILLING
- 1 cup raisins
- 6 prunes, pitted, chopped
- 6 dried figs, chopped
- 2 ounces dark rum
- 3⁄4 cup pine nuts, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1 tablespoon candied fruit
- 4 tablespoons amaretti cookie crumbs
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- For the dough: Dissolve yeast with 1 tablespoons sugar in 1/4 cup of the warm milk. Combine egg yolks, butter, and remaining sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer. Beat on medium until well mixed. Continuing to beat, add 3 cups of the flour, then add lemon zest, salt, rum, and yeast. Gradually mix in remaining 1/2 cup milk until dough is smooth.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-7 minutes. Transfer dough to a large bowl, cover with a kitchen towel, and set in a warm place until doubled in size, 1-2 hours.
- For the filling: Combine raisins, prunes, figs, and rum in a large bowl and set aside to macerate for 1 hour, then mix in pine nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds, chocolate, candied fruits, amaretti, 3 tablespoons of the sugar, butter, vanilla, and salt.
- Preheat oven to 375°F Roll out risen dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12x16-inch rectangle. Brush around edges with beaten egg, then spread filling evenly over dough, avoiding edges. Working from long side, roll up dough jelly-roll style, then curl into a spiral. Place on a baking sheet, cover with a kitchen towel, and set aside to rise for 30 minutes.
- Brush with egg, sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoons sugar, and bake until browned, about 50 minutes.