Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Guava and cheese (Guyaba con Queso) is a typical combination for Cubans. It is delicious! They have Guava Skins that are made in syrup and then combined with cream cheese and "Cuban" crackers - oh my!!! This is an acquired taste and one that is NOT diet friendly!! This was given to me by a woman who works in the activities dept and is trying to start her own dessert business. Didn't include chilling time of about 3 hours up to overnight.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 5 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup guava paste
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Place sugar and water in 9-inch round cake pan.
- Stir until sugar is slightly dissolved.
- Place pan on stove on medium heat.
- Cook sugar about 10 minutes, without stirring, until sugar turns a golden to golden brown color.
- Use oven mitts to swirl pan, coating bottom and sides with caramel.
- Place pan on wire rack to cool and harden caramel slightly.
- Meanwhile, place remaining ingredients in blender container; cover.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture over cooled and hardened caramel in pan.
- Cover with foil.
- Place a large shallow baking pan in oven.
- Place cake pan in baking pan.
- Carefully pour hot water into baking pan so it comes halfway up side of cake pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove cake pan from water bath.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Carefully loosen sides of custard from pan with a knife.
- Cover and refrigerate 3 hours or until chilled.
- May be chilled overnight.
- To unmold, invert pan onto a large shallow plate or pie dish.
- Garnish with mango and kiwi slices, if desired.
- *Guava paste is available in the international aisle of grocery store, it is sold in bars.
Beautifully made and a delicious flavor! I followed the recipe EXACTLY!!! The flan itself has perfect texture however I would have preferred it to have a bit more kick of the guava, but that was easily fixed by adding a few guava paste slices on the side!