Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
When we were children, we would eagerly wait for Christmas morning, for that day, our neighbours, the Patraos would send us a platter with delicious Christmas goodies including diamonds of Guava cheese which was my favourite. Years later, I searched for the recipe and this is the closest to what we always ate.
- Skin guavas and boil them in water in an aluminium pot until the guavas are just soft, not squishy. Remove from heat, drain off the water.
- When cool, halve the guavas and scoop out the seeds. Blend the halves to a pulp.
- Put in an aluminium pot and add sugar. Stir continuously on medium heat. After 15 minutes, add lime/lemon juice and food colour.
- Continue to stir till mixture thickens, leaves the sides of the pot and comes together like a ball.
- Grease a marble slab or wooden board as well as rolling pin. Turn out the mixture on to this surface and roll out till flat and smooth.
- Allow to cool a little and while still warm, cut into cubes or diamonds and let cool completely.
- Store in an airtight tin.