On a mission to find recipes to use up the random tin of guava paste that I often have in the pantry, I came across this one online somewhere. The applesauce and glaze are my own doctorings, because the original recipe was good but quite dry. It's still a very dense butter cake, so those bakers desiring a lighter-textured cake may want to add more applesauce to the recipe.
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 ounces guava paste, sliced
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons milk or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons water or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons orange juice or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla or 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease a 10-inch springform pan or ring mold.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
- Add eggs, one by one, beating thoroughly.
- Add applesauce and vanilla, and mix well.
- Sift flour and baking powder together in a separate bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture until fully blended.
- Spread half the cake batter in greased pan.
- Top with guava paste, taking care not to place paste against pan sides (it will melt and spread once baked).
- Top with remaining cake batter, covering guava paste.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean (except for the guava paste).
- Mix ingredients for glaze until smooth, and pour over warm cake.
- Allow to cool before serving, as filling will be extremely hot (not good to incinerate your tester's taste buds - you will lose tasting volunteers that way!).
Easy to make and tastes great! Followed directions exactly, will add more applesauce next time, this is a very dense cake. I made in a bundt pan as suggested; used lime juice in the glaze and Splenda Blend in batter instead of sugar. We love lime it compliments anything! DH kept saying "Wow!"...he's cuban. LOL. Great way to enjoy guava! I'll have to make this for his parents next time they visit. Suggestion: change serving size to 10 or 12...it will bring the counts down a lot. Thanks Muffin!!
Absolutely delicious. I will make this again and again! For the glaze I used lime juice as I simply adore guava and lime! This is a great make ahead cake. I made it 3 days ago and it is still just as delicious! I am begging all of you to try this!!!
wonderful cake will make again cakepops on parade s/a quest dense cake