Recipe by gailanng
Mixtas, known as Guatemalan street food, is nothing more than a hot dog on a tortilla. Each family has there own version and may even vary region to region. All I know is that they're gooooood...gooooood!
- 1 (16 ounce) packagesoft tortillas, warmed
- 1 (12 -16 ounce) packageall beef hot dogs, grilled
- hot sauce (Tapatio or Sriracha)
- 1 (7 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (10 ounce) bagshredded cabbage (angel hair style or thinly slice half of one cabbage)
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 cup red onion, minced (or more to taste)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
Guacamole de Antigua
- 2 ripe Hass avocadoes
- 1⁄4 red onion, minced
- 1⁄2 small lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- To Make The Guatemalan Slaw: Toss shredded cabbage with the juice of one lime, chopped cilantro and minced red onion. Drizzle with olive oil, enough to just coat the mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- To Make The Guacamole de Antigua: Remove the flesh from the avocado and mash with a fork in a bowl. Mix in the red onion. Squeeze the juice of half a lime over the mixture. Rub the teaspoon of oregano between you fingers to release the herb’s oils and then add to avocado mixture. Add salt to taste.
- To Make The Mixtas: When the hot dogs are done serve on warm tortillas (you may double layer the tortillas, if you prefer) with Guatemalan slaw, guacamole de Antigua, hot sauce and green chilies. Tip: Butterfly the hot dogs in half lengthwise for better piling.