Recipe by Olha
(pow day bah-nah-noh) Banana quick breads are widely popular. Americans tend to load theirs with walnuts. This Guatemalan version is distinctive with lime, allspice and cinnamon. Many quick breads are versatile enough to go from the breakfast table to the dinner table; this one is sweet enough to serve as a teacake.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1⁄4 cups mashed bananas (2 large bananas)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom only of loaf pan, 9 x 5 x 3 inches, or 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 inches.
- Mix all ingredients; beat 30 seconds.
- Pour into pan. Bake until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 9-inch loaf about 70 to 80 minutes, 8 1/2 inch loaves 55 to 60 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Loosen sides of loaf from pan with a knife; remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing. To store, wrap and refrigerate no longer than 1 week.