This recipe is by Hgava and is for the ZWT 7 tour of South/Central America. "This recipe is versatile and can be used as a dessert or an appetizer. Eat this plain or with a little sugar on top or with sour cream like we do in Guatemala!"
- Place the plantains in a large pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 minutes, then drain and mash.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, heat the refried beans and stir in the sugar and salt, mix well then remove from heat.
- To make the rellenitos, form a palm-sized amount of mashed plantains into a ball; flatten and place about a teaspoon of the bean mixture in the middle; then mold the sides of the plantain around the beans, making an egg-shaped ball.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large skillet to 375 degrees F or until a small amount of batter sizzles and browns in the oil.
- Fry rellenitos in oil until browned and drain on paper towels.
- Enjoy plain, with sugar or with sour cream.