1/1 Photo of Guanti and/or Chruscik
This is one of those recipes that every European nationality has their own version of. The Italian version (Guanti) is usually made for holidays and special occasions, as is the Polish version (Chruscik). The Chruscik recipe is my hubby's Polish grandmother's recipe. The Guanti recipe is my Italian grandmother's recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Crisco, melted (shortening or leaf lard)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- oil or shortening (for frying)
- 3 cups flour, sifted (plus extra flour for kneading and cutting)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon brandy (M-I-L uses blackberry brandy)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup cream cheese or 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- oil or shortening, for deep fat frying
- 1Guanti: In a large bowl, beat eggs until light, add sugar, milk, Crisco, salt and vanilla, and mix well.
- 2Beat in flour, until dough is formed.
- 3Using about 1/4 of the dough at a time, roll dough to wafer thinness on a floured board (or put dough through a pasta machine).
- 4Using a dough cutting wheel, or knife, cut the dough into strips about 2 1/2 inches wide by 4 inches long.
- 5Continue with remaining dough.
- 6Deep fry the dough strips in hot oil or Crisco, until lightly golden (about 1-2 minutes).
- 7Remove from pan and drain on paper towels or brown paper.
- 8Sprinkle with powdered sugar OR lightly coat with a honey syrup (honey thinned with water) before serving.
- 9Chrúscik (pronounced kris-chick-e): Mix together flour, salt and baking powder.
- 10Melt butter and cream cheese with milk.
- 11In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, vanilla and brandy and mix well.
- 12Add flour mixture and cream cheese mixture alternately to the egg mixture, mix well after each addition.
- 13Dough should be soft.
- 14On a floured pastry cloth, roll dough 1/8 inch thick.
- 15Cut dough into 3 inch strips.
- 16Cut a small slit in the center of each strip.
- 17Pull one end of the strip through the slit in the center, forming a"twist" in the middle.
- 18Fry in hot oil until light golden on each side.
- 19Remove from pan, drain on brown paper.
- 20Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guanti and/or Chruscik
Serving Size: 1 (1318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.2
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.9 g
- Cholesterol 58.6 mg
- Sodium 114.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 7.4 g
- Protein 4.5 g