Prep 8 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Recipe is from Saveur.com. There is one small Oriental grocery store in my town, and they carry both the cane vinegar and the ground annatto seeds, so I'm thinking these are going to be relatively easy to find. Preparation time is marinating time.
- 3 cups soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups cane vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced, plus 1/3 cup finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallion
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red chili pepper flakes
- 2 1⁄2 cups jasmine rice
- 2 tablespoons ground annatto seeds (available at The Great American Spice Company)
- To make the marinade, combine 2 cups soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, sliced onion, and 1 cup water in a large bowl; add chicken and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Meanwhile, make the dipping sauce: Stir together remaining soy sauce and chopped onion with lemon juice, scallions, chile flakes, and ½ cup water; set aside.
- To make the red rice, combine rice, annatto, and 5 cups water in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and cook, covered, until rice is tender, about 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and keep rice warm.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Cook chicken, turning, until well-browned and cooked through. Serve with rice and dipping sauce, on the side.