Prep 8 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Recipe is from Saveur.com.
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups cane vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced, plus 1 cup finely chopped
- 2 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 cups thinly sliced scallions
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsweetened grated coconut
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 red thai bird chiles, stemmed and thinly sliced
- toasted pita bread, for serving
- Combine soy sauce, vinegar, pepper, sliced onion, and 1 cup water in a large bowl; add chicken and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 8 hours or overnight to marinate.
- Build a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill or heat a gas grill to medium-high. (Alternatively, heat a cast iron grill pan over medium-high heat.) Cook chicken, turning once, until just cooked through. Transfer to a cutting board and let cool; cut into 1/2" cubes and place in a large bowl. Add chopped onion, scallions, coconut, juice, and chiles, and toss to combine; let sit at room temperature for 1 hour to meld flavors. Serve with pita, if you like.