Recipe by WI Cheesehead
There is a Guadelajaran Quesadilla recipe on here, also from Vegetarian Times, that uses spinach and ingredients are different. So I thought I'd post this one too.
Top Review by swingncocoa
The addition of tequila was a stroke of genius! Great for vegetarians and meat-lovers alike (we are the latter). We used raw tortillas from Costco and cooked them before adding the ingredients. Came out crispy and delicious. Thanks for posting!
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (3/4 C)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (2 tsp)
- 1 jalapenos or 1 serrano chili, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄4 cup tequila
- 12 ounces swiss chard, trimmed
- 8 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 cup light monterey jack cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pot over medium heat; add onion and saute 5 minutes, until golden.
- Stir in garlic, chile, cumin and oregano, and saute 2 minutes.
- Add tequila and simmer 1 minute, or until liquid has evaporated.
- Stir in chard; cover; reduce heat to medium low, and steam 5 minutes, or until chard wilts.
- Uncover, and cook 3 minutes or until liquid has evaporated.
- Place 1 tortilla in skillet over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1/4 C cheese; top with chard mixture and second tortilla.
- Cook 2 minutes per side, or until browned. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Slice into wedges and serve.