Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
I learned this recipe from a friend in Mexico,Miss Lola Ortiz.This is a make ahead recipe, better if made in the morning, refrigerated and then baked for supper.She used to laugh when I struggled to make my first tortillas with Masa Harina Flour.
- 20 large corn tortillas
- 4 cups diced cooked chicken
- 2 white onions, diced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 2 (15 ounce) cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 2 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies or 2 (4 ounce) cansdiced jalapeno peppers
- 10 slices pre cooked bacon, diced
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or 2 cups monterey jack pepper cheese
- In large frying pan, add vegetable oil and diced onion, fry until translucent, then add chicken. Sprinkle with cumin.
- Toss and saute about five minutes. Set side.
- In 9 X 13 pan grease with margarine.
- In large saucepan, add tomatoes, green chilies or Jalapeno chilies, bacon, cream of chicken soup, chili powder, cayenne pepper and milk.
- Stir to mix and heat on low heat.
- Fill each tortilla with hot chicken and onions, about two tablespoons. Roll up and place in pan. Make a complete layer on the bottom of the pan.
- Dip out about 2 1/2 cups sauce and spices mixture and cover over the layer. Fill tortillas with another layer on top. Dip out sauce and spices and cover the second layer. Do this again with a third layer. It will probably not be complete. Space it out over the length of the pan. Cover with the balance of the sauce. Cover. Refrigerate or Bake.
- Preheat oven 350*.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes Allow 10 to 15 extra minutes if refrigerated.
- Take out of oven. Uncover. Sprinkle cheese over the top. Cover. Let set 10 minutes.
- Serve with a Spatula and Spoon for the sauce.