Recipe by maenad
My guacamole is very free-form, but here are the basics: Figure about 1/2 large avocado per person. I don't care whether I'm using Haas or regular avocados - some people do. Pick ones that give to mild pressure but are not mushy. If you can't find any that are ripe, get hard ones and keep them in a paper bag for a couple of days until they ripen.
- 1 large avocado, scooped out of shell and mashed
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 tablespoon salsa
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 tablespoon sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (note, some people find it vile) or 1 teaspoon parsley (note, some people find it vile)
- 1 tablespoon tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons black olives, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice or 1 teaspoon lime juice or 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- salt, use less if you'll refrigerate (you shouldn't need much)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the avocado in half, scoop out the flesh with a spoon; mash 3/4 of it well and chop the remaining 1/4 coarsely (I do this with the spoon, in the avocado shell, before scooping the last bit out).
- Mix it into the mashed portion.
- Mix all remaining ingredients together.
- Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap, pressing wrap firmly to surface of guacamole (or it will turn color due to oxidation) and refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving.