Found this in Food and Wine Magazine and sounds just enough different to give a try. To make ahead of time, press a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat a grill pan.
- In small bowl, toss scallions, garlic and jalapeno with the vegetable oil.
- Grill over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until charred all over, 5-6 minutes.
- Transfer to a work surface and let cool.
- Finely chop scallions and jalapeno and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Peel the garlic cloves, mash them to a paste and add to the bowl.
- Scoop the avocado into the bowl and coarsely mash with a fork.
- Fold the cilantro and lime juice into the guacamole, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
- For a brighter, crunchier guacamole, finely chop the scallions, garlic and jalapeno and stir them in raw.