Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 mins
I like this recipe because it is simple and easy to make. I've actually made the guacomole in advance, so that the flavours set in. This is good as part of a light supper, when some of your other recipes are just not ready yet, and you need an extra few minutes to wait.
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 1 cup fresh tomato, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, grated
- 1⁄2 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1⁄4 lb smoked salmon
- 1 1⁄2 fennel seeds, finely crushed
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 8 -10 slices French bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Mash the avocados together. Add the chopped tomatoes, grated carrots, crushed fennel seeds, salt and pepper, and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Thinly butter each slice of French bread, and toast it in the oven for 2 minutes.
- After taking out the French bread slices, add one piece of smoked salmon to each slice.
- Top the French bread and salmon with one or two slices of white onion, as desired.
- Adding as a third layer of topping the tomato-avocado mix.
- Serve one or two per person.
This appetizers came just at right moment!
I used whole grain toast and I crushed the fennel seeds with the mortar.
We loved it, and we think to prepare this during the holidays again! The fennel is a great change in the guacamole and fits perfect with the salmon. I couldn't expect a better combination.
I took this recipe for the colors (green and salmon), but we are really impressed about the taste and unusual combination with fennel. Thanks a lot for this great winner!
LOVED it! But sorry for not using french bread, I used oatmeal crackers instead since I wanted to serve it as a (bite-size) starter. Everybody enjoyed it, including DD, and got a lot of 'hhhmmmmm's! I loved the addition of fennel seeds and the carrot gave a nice little crunch to it. I didn't mash the avocados, I chopped them instead. Thank you, Studentchef, for sharing this wonderful recipe, I definitely will be making it again, next time with french bread!
Yum! This made a great brunch for me.I quartered the recipe to make 3 toasts. I used rye bread and red onion. Thanks!