Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I watched Ina make this on TV today and it looked so colorful I just have to try it. You may want to adjust the jalapeños to taste, add some mango, and if you are watching your calories- eliminate or reduce the olive oil.
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and 1/2-inch diced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup small diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno peppers, seeded (2 peppers)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 1⁄4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (2 limes)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 ripe Hass avocadoes, seeded, peeled, and 1/2-inch diced
- Place the tomatoes, yellow pepper, black beans, red onion, jalapeño peppers, and lime zest in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lime juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, garlic, and cayenne pepper and pour over the vegetables.
- Toss well.
- Just before you're ready to serve the salad, fold the avocados into the salad.
- Check the seasoning and serve at room temperature.
We love this salad at our house. I make it every couple of weeks. I saw this on Barefoot Contessa and it looked so good I made it the next day. It is very healthy. My daughters frielnds all ask for it and comment that they can't believe they eating it since they don't really like anything that is in it. They all love it. I usually divide it in half before adding the avacado and only add it to half since it doesn't keep. I then add the avacado to the other half a day or 2 later. Yummy!!!
I -adore- this recipe for its flavor and its healthy ingredients, especially when served over spinach. One caveat, however: the combination of avocado, olive oil and black beans leads to a surprisingly high calorie content-per-serving (close to 500). Cooks with calorie concerns may wish to use less of one or all of those ingredients, or reduce the serving size.
I made this for lunch today, exactly as described, except that I left out the yellow peppers. Also, I made and served it all at the same time. It was really, really good! The lime juice and zest really add something special. I'm a huge fan of guacamole, but this might even be better! Will definitely be making this again.