Recipe by gailanng
From The National Sandwich Idea contest. The event was held each year between 1956 and 1981. This particular sandwich was probably considered innovative for it's time. The contest was sponsored by the Wheat Flour Institute. Each year 20 sandwich recipes, created by Food Service professionals, were chosen as the top sandwich recipes from hundreds of entries. The Guacamole Open Club Sandwich was the number #1 recipe chosen in 1964. It was created by Viola English of Dayton, OH. The Guacamole Open Club Sandwich is a delicious concoction in which the avocado mixture (Guacamole) is served over the bacon and lettuce sandwich, open face, on Russian rye bread.
- 6 slices russian rye bread
- softened butter
- 3 cups finely shredded lettuce
- 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup creamy thick bleu cheese salad dressing
- 12 slices crisply cooked bacon
- 12 pitted ripe olives
- 2 cups finely diced ripe avocados
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped green onion, with tops
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Sandwich Mix: Mix together, avocados, green onions, lemon juice, salt, pepper and garlic salt. Let stand at room temperature for 15-minutes.
- Makes about 2 cups.
- Spread butter on bread and place on serving plates. Cover each bread slice with 1/2 cup shredded lettuce. Place 3 or 4 tomato slices on lettuce. Cover each sandwich with 1/3 cup Sandwich Mix, spreading lightly.
- Pour dressing diagonally across sandwich in both directions. Place 2 olives in center of each sandwich. Place 2 bacon strips diagonally alongside olives, one on either side.