Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is a very slight variation on my dad's recipe; his didn't use the chili powder, but I think it adds a nice touch. It's some of the best I have ever had, especially when eaten with homemade tortilla chips
Top Review by Allison Williams
Made this tonight for the second time in three days. Fresh, easy and delicious. I actually use 4 Haas avacados (they're a little on the small side), and lime instead of lemon. Also, I add one chopped green onion and a little more jalapeno. Great as a snack or with any meal.
- 3 medium avocados
- 2 medium plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or 2 tablespoons lime juice, more to taste,plus more yet to coat top to prevent browning
- 2 ounces cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely minced jalapeno pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili powder, about
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- tortilla chips, preferably home made,as accompaniment
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel avocados and remove stones.
- Mash coarsely in medium dish.
- Add remaining ingredients.
- Adjust lemon juice to taste.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Sprinkle top with additional lemon juice to prevent darkening if dip will be stored for any length of time.
- Serve with tortilla chips or as salad dressing on tossed green salad.