Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
From The Great Big Burger Book
- 1 lb ground round
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 small ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
Spicy Chili Con Queso
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cups peeled canned tomatoes, chopped and drained well again
- 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and well drained
- 10 ounces extra-sharp cheddar cheese, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- To make the queso: in a large saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat; add in the onion and stir/saute 5-7 minutes or until softened.
- Stir in the tomatoes, beans, cheese, chipotle powder and cumin, stirring constantly until the cheese is completely melted; keep warm on very low heat.
- To make the bugers: Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a large bowl until well combined.
- Gently fold in the avocado; form the mixture into 4 patties, each about ½ inch thick.
- Lightly oil the grill or grill pan over medium-high heat; cook the burgers to the desired degree of doneness, 2-4 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Serve on toasted sesame seed buns; top with a generous dollop of Spicy Chili Con Queso.