1 hr 15 mins
The Gastronomer's Note:
This tasty and nutritious Vegan dish performs double duty as both appetizer or a main course ingredient. Using only time honored ingredients, it is extremely authentic and versatile as an accent to many fine Mexican main courses.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 avocados (Haas are best, avoid the Fuertes type)
- 1 large ripe salad tomato (avoid Roma or plum varieties)
- 1 -2 clove garlic
- 1 -2 tablespoon lime juice (~½ lime)
- 1/4 cup of grated white onion, pulp (avoid red or yellow onions)
- 1 -2 teaspoon chopped cilantro leaf (stems removed)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 1/8 teaspoon fine grind white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon Crystal hot sauce (or Tabasco)
- 1 pinch ground cumin (use sparingly)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 finely minced green jalapenos (optional) or 1 serrano chili pepper (Regulate heat by using or discarding the chile's ribs and seeds.) (optional)
- 1 small mexican lime, from your local mercado if possible (optional)
- 1Squeeze the lime juice into the mixing bowl, this will help acidulate the avocado and avoid any oxidation or browning.
- 2Peel half a white onion and grate into the bowl using a fine tooth grater.
- 3Peel the tomato, cut in half at equator and squeeze seeds and juice into a separate bowl.
- 4Strain and reserve juice to control the final consistency.
- 5Chop the peeled tomato halves well and add to the main bowl.
- 6Wash and strip the cilantro leaves, then chop them finely and add.
- 7Peel and crush, mash or finely mince the garlic and add to the other ingredients.
- 8Add salt, white pepper, ground cumin, hot sauce and cayenne to taste.
- 9Halve, peel and seed the avocados then scoop out flesh into mixing bowl.
- 10Mix ingredients by mashing with the back of a fork.
- 11Avoid over mixing and keep texture a little on the chunky side.
- 12Adjust seasonings to taste (remember this will marry up for one hour).
- 13Add the juice from the strained tomato seeds if mixture is too thick.
- 14Finish the mixing and transfer to a serving dish.
- 15Press plastic wrap onto the surface of the mix to avoid oxidation.
- 16Chill for one to four hours before serving.
- 17Notes: To be completely authentic, pulverize the peeled garlic with lime juice and salt using a mortar and pestle or in Mexican stone molcajete.
- 18Add this mixture to start the bowl of ingredients.
- 19Decorate with a coiled tomato rose and sprigs of the cilantro leaves.
- 20(You can make this from the peel of the tomato used in the recipe.) PLEASE DO NOT ADD ANY MAYONNAISE, SOUR CREAM OR CREAM CHEESE, YOU WILL RUIN IT.
- 21THIS IS AN AUTHENTIC RECIPE AS WRITTEN, PLEASE TRY IT AS SHOWN.
- 22However you make it, serve guacamole with yellow corn tortilla chips.
- 23Avoid brands that use any flour as authentic chips will contain only stone ground yellow corn.
- 24For best results, deep fry home made chips and serve warm.
- 25When making your own corn chips, let the yellow corn tortillas sit out for two hours in room air to dry slightly before frying.
- 26Cut into wedges and fry in plenty of very hot oil.
- 27Lightly salt them before serving.
- 28Excellent topping for flautas, tostadas and tacos, also good in omelets.
- 29Timesaver Hint: Omit many steps by using a small (7 oz.) can of Herdez brand Salsa Casera.
- 30If you are in a hurry, follow the steps below.
- 31Drain the salsa before using.
- 32Add to avocado and lime juice, then mash with fork.
- 33Check for flavor and heat while adding the drained salsa.
- 34Reserve juice from drained salsa to control the body of the final mix.
- 35Add the crushed garlic and spices to taste.
- 36Cover as shown above and chill before serving.
- 37Be sure to allow ingredients to marry up for at least 1/2 hour.
- 38You will have a good measure of heat from the salsa, so beware!
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guacamole, Authentic Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (115 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.1
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 162.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.8 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 3.5 g