Prep 45 mins
Cook 5 mins
Avocados contain high quality essential fatty acids and are the fruit highest in Vitamin E. When making Salsa, I add some of it to an avocado to make guacamole.
- 1 -2 ripe avocado
- 3 lbs tomatoes, home-grown,if available
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mild green chilies, drained
- 1 small vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh spicy globe basil
- 1⁄8 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 tablespoon lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons honey
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Add tomatoes and scald for 2 minutes.
- Submerse immediately in a bowl of cold water and ice and let sit for a few minutes.
- Remove skins and discard.
- Remove stem core and discard.
- Cut tomatoes in small chunks and discard seeds and juice.
- In a large pot, add all ingredients.
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Over medium-high heat, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Strain off any excess liquid.
- Add 8 tablespoons of salsa to each ripe avocado used.