1/1 Photo of Guacamole
1 hr 20 mins
Guacamole is one of my favorite Mexican foods. This recipe calls for slightly more garlic and hot pepper than most I have found. I love the rich, soft buttery flavor and texture of ripe avocados underscored with the pungency of garlic and heat of jalapeno, but if you want to reduce or omit these ingredients, by all means, do. Cilantro would also lend itself well to this recipe, if you like it. It tastes like soap to me. :) You can also omit some of the flavor blending time, if you must. I look for the smaller, thin-skinned, bumpy, almost black avocados. Forget about finding ripe ones in the supermarket; buy in advance and let them ripen at home. When they feel very soft and almost fragile to the touch, they are perfect. I suggest blanching the tomatoes and peeling them to soften their texture just slightly, but this is an optional step. Guacamole is a great addition to any Mexican appetizer or entree. It's also a wonderful dip for veggies and chips, a spread for sandwiches, or an addition to salads. Avocados are very fatty (something they share with a lot of great tasting things), but they are very high in the so-called "good" monounsaturated fats.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Get a small, tightly sealable container (large enough to accomodate 2 or 3 cups).
- 2Roll the lime against a counter or hard surface to soften and juice into the container and remove any seeds.
- 3Add all other ingredients except avocados.
- 4Cover container and shake vigorously to incorporate.
- 5Allow to chill for a bit to blend flavors.
- 6Before serving, mash avocados with the mixture with a fork.
- 7Stir to blend thoroughly.
- 8Place a layer of plastic wrap directly over the surface of the guacamole, eliminating as much air as possible.
- 9Cover container and chill for about 1/2 hour before serving (more flavor blending).
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Guacamole
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 225.3
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 217.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.7 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 4.7 g