This vegetarian quiche is loaded with flavor from the Gruyere cheese, which imparts a deeper richer flavor. You might consider this for a Ladies Luncheon or at a holiday brunch.
- 1 unbaked pie shell (I love the refrigerated roll-up type)
- 1 teaspoon cornmeal (or dry bread crumbs)
- 1 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup vegetables, chopped, sauteed and drained (we like mushrooms, red pepper, onion)
- 1 cup Baby Spinach, fresh, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup Bisquick baking mix (I use Low-Fat)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- green onion top, about 2 T. chopped green part only
- This quiche has both sauteed veggies and some fresh veggies. Start by sauteing about 1 cup vegetables in a little butter or oil. Set them aside to cool.
- While the veggies are cooling, roll out the packaged pie dough. Sprinkle 1 t. cornmeal or breadcrumbs in the bottom of the baking dish (I like the Pampered Chef 11" round stoneware dish, but you can use a DEEP-DISH pie plate). Fit pie dough into plate.
- Into pie dough, place cooled cooked vegetables (drain first), chopped fresh spinach, then gruyere cheese that has been tossed with 1 T. flour.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, Bisquick, salt and pepper. Pour over veggies.
- Sprinkle the fresh diced tomatoes and green onions around the edge of the quiche.
- Bake 375 for 45-50 minutes, or until center has puffed slightly and a knife tests clean.