Recipe by SouthernChefinConnecticut
I've seen lots of squash casseroles, but none quite like this one. The secret is all in the cheese! This is very rich tasting and so hearty my vegetarian daughter happily eats it as a main course!
Top Review by *Parsley*
Awesome! It's amazing how much better gruyere makes a squash casserole over the usual cheddar cheese. This is just over five ingredients and that makes it quick and easy to make. I used reduced fat mayo and reduced fat crackers. It was still cheesy and delicious. Thanx for sharing!
- 1 small vidalia onion, chopped
- 907.18 g yellow squash, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 354.88 ml grated gruyere cheese
- 295.73 ml crushed butter flavored crackers (I use Ritz)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook the onions until lightly brown.
- Add the squash, seasoning with salt and pepper to taste and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in mayo, 1 cup of the cheese, and 1 cup of the crumbled crackers.
- Pour into a 1 and 1/2 quart baking dish and sprinkle with remaining cheese, then remaining crackers.
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees.