Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
- 3⁄4 pint milk
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces unflavored breadcrumbs
- 4 ounces gruyere, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, crushed with a little
- 4 eggs, separated
- Place breadcrumbs in a mixing bowl.
- Set the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Bring the milk to a boil, then stir in the butter, salt and peppers and pour the mixture over the breadcrumbs.
- Add the garlic and Gruyere and return to the pan.
- Stir over moderate heat until cheese melts.
- Beat in the egg yolks.
- Cool the mixture slightly, then stiffly whip the egg whites and fold them into the mixture.
- Pour into a buttered pie tin (not more than three-quarters full) and bake for about 40 minutes.
Very good! It was more like a 'spoon bread' than any souffles I've ever had. I have to eat gluten-free, so I used gf bread crumbs, but I can't imagine it would change the texture so much. Also I used a tall-sided round baking dish. Great flavors, very subtle.
This recipe calls for an insanely high amount of salt. It was almost impossible to eat. I compared it with other recipes in Bon Appetit and those call for between 1/2 tsp and 1 tsp. of salt.