1/3 Photos of Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A delicious scalloped potatoes recipe. Use a shallow casserole dish. If you need a faster cooking time, parboil the potatoes for a few minutes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 44.37 ml butter
- 907.18 g russet potatoes, peeled, sliced 1/8-inch thick (about 4 medium-sized potatoes)
- 1 large yellow onions or 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
- 29.58 ml chopped fresh parsley
- 14.79 ml chopped fresh chives (optional)
- 2 thick slices bacon, cooked and chopped
- 591.47 ml gruyere cheese, grated
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese, grated
- 709.77 ml half-and-half
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F; butter a large casserole dish with 1 1/2 Tbsp of butter. If you use a casserole dish that is about 9x13, you'll have more surface area, more of the potatoes will brown, and the cooking time will be faster.
- 2Layer the bottom of the casserole dish with 1/3 of the potato slices.
- 3Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 4Layer on 1/2 of the sliced onions and 1/2 cup of the Gruyere cheese.
- 5Layer on 1/2 of the bacon, 1/2 of the parsley and chives.
- 6Sprinkle with a little Parmesan.
- 7Repeat by layering on 1/3 of the potato slices, sprinkle again with salt and pepper.
- 8Layer on the remaining sliced onions, 1/2 cup of the Gruyere cheese, the remaining bacon, parsley and chives.
- 9Sprinkle with a little Parmesan.
- 10Top the casserole with the remaining potato slices. Add the half and half. Dot the potatoes with the remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp of butter.
- 11Cover the casserole with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for one hour. After an hour, remove from the oven, remove the foil, sprinkle on the remaining cheese.
- 12Return to the oven for an additional 30-40 minutes.
- 13When done, the potatoes should be tender, but not mushy, and the liquid should be mostly absorbed.
- 14Note: For a faster cooking time, you can parboil the sliced potatoes for 8 minutes first, patting them dry, before layering them in the casserole pan. In this case the total oven cooking time is about 35-45 minutes.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gruyere Scalloped Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (271 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 426.8
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.4 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 89.0 mg
- Sodium 308.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 2.0 g
- Protein 17.9 g