Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 mins
A twist on cheddar based welsh rarebit's. From Gourmet Nov/07. Prep includes the stirring, adding etc.
- 1 lb thinly sliced ham
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 3⁄4 cup beer (not dark)
- 6 ounces coarsely grated gruyere (2 cups)
- 4 slices pumpernickel bread or 4 rye bread
- cornichons or gherkin
- Preheat broiler. Wrap ham tightly in foil and put on rack of oven farthest from broiler to heat through, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-low heat until foam subsides, then whisk in flour and cook, whisking, 1 minute. Whisk in milk, mustard, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking. Simmer, whisking, 2 minutes, then add beer and simmer, whisking, 1 minute. Remove from heat and whisk in cheese until melted.
- Arrange bread in 1 layer on a baking sheet and broil 4 to 5 inches from heat, turning once, until lightly toasted, about 5 minutes total.
- Transfer bread to plates and spoon some of sauce over it, then top with ham and remaining sauce.
This is good. It makes a nice lunch. This is pretty expensive to make where I live(cheese & ham). I think 1 1b of ham is too much. I think 1/2 lb would have been plenty. Made for Newest Tag 2007.