Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I found this recipe on another site. I've made this twice. The first time at home. It was very good, but the next day was even better. Next I brought it as a side dish for Thanksgiving. It got rave reviews! This is such a tasty breakfast, dinner or especially brunch dish. You can cook the onions and peppers and chill until the morning and throw it in the oven. This tastes better and better as it chills. Personally, I like it cold. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! *** Makes 1-10-inch quiche.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried sage
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 unbaked pastry crust
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup thinly sliced red bell pepper
- 1 cup packed grated gruyere cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- fresh ground black pepper
- Sauté onion in olive oil for 5 minutes; add the salt, herbs and mustard.
- Lower heat; cover and let cook 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Stir in the vinegar and bell pepper into the onions; turn the heat up to medium and cook, uncovered, for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the cheese into the crust and spoon the onion/pepper mixture on top of the cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk and pepper; slowly pour over the veggies and cheese.
- Bake on a cookie sheet for 35-40 minutes till set.
This was the best quiche i have ever made. Very nice flavors. I did use less vinegar and swiss cheese. The time in the oven 40 min. was right on, oh just so good. When i think of quiche this is it.