I really like the flavor imparted from the beef broth, instead of more dairy from cream or milk, as is usually found with scalloped potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Butter inside of 2-quart casserole dish with 2 T. butter.
- Start bringing broth to a boil after all of your ingredients are ready to go.
- Pat dry half of potatoes. Overlap slices on bottom of baking dish. Sprinkle with some pepper, half of onion slices, and half of both cheeses. Dot with the rest of the butter.
- Repeat layering for a second layer. Last layer isn't topped with butter, though.
- Pour boiling broth over the potatoes.
- Bake for 55-60 min or until done (potatoes are tender, top is brown and broth is absorbed).
- Great on Day 2 also.