Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This potato gratin was featured on the Today show on November 26, 2007. It's from chef Craig von Foerster's cookbook "Sierra Mar".
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallot
- 1 1⁄4 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 3 medium russet potatoes (about 2 lbs.)
- 1⁄2 onion, thinly julienned
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup grated gruyere cheese (about 4 oz.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add garlic and shallot and saute until translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the cream and bring to a simmer for 5 minutes;season with salt and pepper, strain through a fine sieve and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and slice into thin rounds ( a mandoline works great here!).
- In a 4X6 inch baking dish, arrange two layers of potatoe slices,scatter with a third of the onion, thyme and Gruyere cheese.
- Cover with a little of the seasoned cream:repeat this three times, ending with a layer of potatoes.
- Cover with the rest of the cream.
- Cover with aluminun foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake another 10 minutes, or until browned on top and easily pierced with a paring knife.