Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Get-Togethers with Gooseberry Patch
- 2 lbs yukon gold potatoes, peeled, sliced and divided
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, coarsely shredded and divided
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- thinly sliced green onion
- Cook potatoes in a saucepan of boiling water for 4 minutes; drain.
- Arrange one-third of the potatoes in a greased 3-quart casserole dish; sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Repeat layers once; top with remaining potato slices. Set aside.
- Combine milk and cream in a heavy saucepan; heat just to boiling.
- Whisk in nutmeg; pour over potatoes.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes, or until golden and potatoes are tender.
- Garnish with green onion.