Recipe by mermaidmagic
Another great recipe from our Whole Foods market. The Gruyere is the key to this dish because it melts and incorporates the cream better than cheddar ever could. Cook time does not reflect time for potatoes to cool.
Top Review by jckress
This is classic and close to mine. I don't bother with onions, just more raw garlic sprinkled in the layers. I layer the cheese too. Sometimes I use regular and sweet potatoes together, it's a nice contrast.
- 2 lbs waxy potatoes (Yukon Gold, Red Creamers, etc.)
- 3⁄4 lb cave-aged gruyere, shredded
- 2 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Boil whole potatoes for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In the meantime, sauté onions and garlic in butter until they are soft and translucent.
- Layer potato slices and onions in a 9 x 9 baking dish.
- Pour cream over the potatoes.
- Season to taste and sprinkle Gruyere over the whole shebang.
- Bake 4050 minutes or until golden.